Wednesday, October 8, 2008

That other sound you just heard...

...was MY head exploding. Bubba just doesn't understand. I can't tell if it's true inability or just a terrible attitude. Maybe it's me. Maybe we need to drop back for a while and focus on the basics again. Even when he does get the higher concept correct, he stumbles on simple addition. Praise God for the flexibility that home schooling offers.

I'm telling you, it's hard for an honor student with a perfect SAT score (the Math part, anyway) who never studied math a day in my life to father a normal child who doesn't like math. I know I'm the freak and that I lack patience. But this is tough.

Bubba's guardian angel, please guide us and help us to discern the right course for this precious child.

3 comments:

Erin Manning said...

If you don't mind my asking, Daddio, what materials are you using? I have three math-allergic girls now in the 8th, 7th, and 5th grades, and we went through some bad patches and struggles esp. with the oldest who still has some issues with math. Maybe I could help you decide where to go from here? You can email me (red cardigan gmail.com minus spaces plus at sign) if you'd rather not post details.

Daddio said...

It's Math U See - recommended by Charlotte. I think he needs to step back to Alpha and start frm the basics again. The other two are actually doing pretty well. I'll trust my wife's judgment on this one, but we do appreciate your offer of support. I'm sure she'll be calling one or the other of you soon!

nicole said...

Praying for patience for everyone. We have shared some struggles in a different arena--sports!