Friday, October 10, 2008

Clarity... ha

Daddio has really stepped up to blogging on a more regular basis because my head has not really been in the game.

Here it is Oct. 10, and I can say for an entire two months that my brain has been so out of it... it all started August when Bobcat's Endo tested for Celiac Disease. Then reaching to the highest level of fear and lack of focus on Sept. 11 when he had his biopsy. Now I feel like I'm on returning to sanity, and starting to get back in control of my thoughts and emotions... and I think it helped that finally after several shoddy loaves of bread I had one that appears to look normal (the boys loved it; I have yet to sink my teeth in it for fear of spiraling down the deep hole of unworthy breadmaking depression).

And then there was TODAY.

I've worked diligently on ridding our diets of all gluten which is primarily found in wheat but also hidden in other items... now we eat (white) corn tortilla's, eat even more veggies, and potato/rice/bean flours have taken the place of wheat flour.

So gluten is BAD! Well, a good number of celiacs also have food allergies/intolerances/sensitivies to other foods... and we began the food sensitivity testing today. Bobcat's was this morning and the other two boys will have theirs in the coming weeks. When all was said and done... he has a sensitivity to CORN... corn, people! Now, the allergist assured me that if he hasn't had any adverse reactions then he is probably fine. Many people have a sensitivity to corn, but it doesn't seem to bother them. (Oh and he is definitely allergic to cantaloupe which we already suspected since the last time he ate it, his face swelled all up.) In the words of John McCain "Well, my FRIENDS", he/we didn't seem to know he was having digestive distress with the whole celiac deal... I'm guessing he wouldn't really be able to pin down an internal reaction to corn. So it looks like for at least the time being we will have him off of corn to the best of our ability... giving time for his body to heal and then we can re-introduce it and see if he has a reaction one way or the other.

On a side note, it seems that he has grown a 1/4 of an inch since his last appointment at that office which was at the end of August! That is HUGE for him! And he has put on 1.2 lbs from Monday!

No comments: