Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Don't Mess With Texas

Last one, I promise. For now.

I remember when I was a little kid and the anti-litter campaign "Don't Mess With Texas" seemed to be promoted everywhere. My mom caught me throwing a little gum wrapper or something out the window of our car, and she explained to me that while one little piece of trash doesn't do much harm, what would happen if everyone felt that way? The trash would add up in a hurry.

I've been to a few Central American countries and seen the results of this lax attitude. Trash is just everywhere, and nobody cares. On the side of the road, even in relatively nice areas. People just don't care. They've given up. They don't think they make a difference by not littering, or by adding a tiny scrap to the huge mess.

Don't toss your wasted vote on the side of the highway just because most of the rest of us keep it 65% clean.

No comments: