Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fess up

While waiting patiently, studying his prayer card, Bobcat whispers to Daddio that he just remembered another thing he will tell the priest during his confession.

That was last night, sitting in the pew waiting for our family's turn for confession. I went in first and once finished I told the priest that Bobcat was coming in next that this was his first confession... to which the priest said, "Oh praise God, and how wonderful." With a giant smile on his face, Bobcat entered the confessional... and exited with an even bigger grin. Next up was Daddio and then everyone back into the car. Bobcat's reaction to his first confession: "That was so cool, I can't wait to do it again."

I was worried he might be nervous, I sort of remember preparing for mine and I do remember be a wreck... and that it took 10 years before I did it again (for those doing the math... First Communion/Confession and not again till Confirmation). But I think we are doing a much better job preparing him for his sacraments than I was ever taught. Not only that, Daddio and I try to make a conscious effort to show our love for the sacraments, and in regards to confession... we take them with us when we go. There's nothing like seeing your parent do something and wanting to do it as well. This was something I've never witnessed my parents participating in, and led me to think in my early years that it was scary and not necessary.

1 comment:

Erin Manning said...

What an adorable story! Congratulations to Bobcat, and how inspiring that he can't wait to go again!

My first two girls made their first confession on the same day. The priest was hearing confessions during a holy hour, and I went before them to let Father know they were coming in next. My oldest daughter exited the confessional calmly and walked back to our bench--but the second, when her turn was over, skipped from the confessional to the main aisle, turned, and skipped all the way down the aisle to where we were sitting.

People who were there for the holy hour grinned at us; I'm sure they knew it was her first confession, and we've all had that light, skippy feeling after a confession or two, even if we're too old to skip afterward!