Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Obama

Bob has an interesting post up about Michelle Obama. You do have to admire her accomplishments, even if you can't stand her politics.

By the way, did you notice during her speech to the Convention that she referred to Barack as the son of a single mother, and how much he desired to be a good father to his own kids because of his absentee father? That's admirable, but didn't he burst onto the scene by bragging about his father, who was an African goat herder, or something like that? There's a lot of very interesting information out there about his polygamous father and screwed up siblings. You can tell they're trying to distance themselves from that mess.

Anyway.

I am obviously not voting for Obama. But if he wins, the one good thing that would come from it is the historical significance of a bi-racial president. I know the world is a lot less racist today than it was not so long ago, but racism still exists in certain areas, even if it's not stated outright. For our boys' sake, I do have to admit that it would be nice to have people of color as the First Family. Don't you think so? I'm not saying that's a good reason to vote for him, but at least it's a silver lining.

Also, I heard a fascinating interview with Clarence Thomas on EWTN Live podcast a few weeks ago. Now there's a fantastic black role model for our boys. He was also adopted - by his grandparents. He isn't very popular among the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton types. I hope to read some of his books soon and share my thoughts here.

2 comments:

nicole said...

I'm like you--I'm not voting for him, but it is fascinating to think of a president of color. It is exciting to think that our society is making big strides in being truly color-blind. And it is good to see silver linings.

Bob's Blog said...

I also want to read Clarence Thomas's book "My Grandfather's Son."

Great post.