Monday, April 2, 2007

JP2, we love you!

Today is the 2nd anniversary of the death of John Paul the Great.


He was like a grandfather to me.  Seeing him in St. Louis in 1999 is one of my very best memories.  We didn't even get to go inside the auditorium, and the "subtitles" being displayed on the jumbo tron outside were pretty screwed up most of the time.  But still, it was so amazing.  I felt like he was talking directly to me.  We just wept while we watched him.  Mostly it was the sheer joy of seeing him.  Also, his health was declining, his speech was slurred, and maybe part of us already knew how much we'd miss him when he was gone.  But hew was also so strong, despite his physical weakness.  Virile, really, which is an odd quality for a celibate person to possess.  But he definitely had more "children" who loved him than any biological father ever did.  It was so great to see him in the flesh while we had the chance.  We camped out right on the corner and Stephanie got a great picture of him in the popemobile, rounding the corner.


We had really gotten on fire for the Faith by going to Apologetics classes, and going to Eucharistic Adoration and praying the Rosary at the Catholic Campus Center (UNTWUTA).  Before then, we had been somewhat energetic and charismatic, but in a Protestant sort of way.  We had no appreciation of the richness and truth of the Catholic faith.  Just as we were getting totally hyped up about the faith, we were invited to St. Louis, so the timing was perfect.


I miss him.  Within a few months, we lost the Pope, our beloved chaplain Father Bob Lewandoski, and my maternal grandfather.  It's a whole different world without them here.  I feel grown up and alone.  But at the same time, closer than ever to all of them.  Also within a few months, we became parents.  I wish my own "fathers" could be here to see my boys and spend time with us.  But we'll see them again soon.


-Daddio

No comments: