Saturday, September 12, 2009

passion

So I'm sitting here studying for an exam I have on Tuesday. I have five down, three to go, and then I earn a professional designation and a bonus and a trip to Orlando. It's worth it. But, I've got my headphones on, and I keep stopping to enjoy the music (and now to blog).

It occurs to me that while I do like my job and the security it brings, it is not my passion. I know it's called "work" for a reason. I don't suppose St. Joseph had a passion for carpentry. He might have liked it well enough. But it was terribly hard work, especially in the days before power tools. As far as jobs go, I have a very good one. It is challenging and even fun sometimes. It requires thinking and planning and negotiating and dealing with people. I like to believe I have a certain talent for it. Besides it pays well enough, I have a decent schedule, good work-life balance, etc. I have no doubt that the Lord led me into this industry and blesses me greatly with the ability to support a family. That is the real passion of my life. My love for my family and my vocation as a husband and father has taken precedence, there is no close second.

But don't you just wish you could have it all sometimes? I know that people who make a living at their "passion" work just as hard as anyone else. They don't enjoy every minute of it. It's about perseverence and slogging through the difficult stuff. I never cared much for music theory. I just wanted to play, man. That seemed too much like "work" to me.

But, I have never had goosebumps sitting at my desk, you know what I mean? There are a few great moments, when I get a good review or sell a nice account. It is satisfying work and it supports my family. No man could want more than that. But is it my passion?...

By the way, practice questions like this are not helping:

From what source must water come in order for damage to be covered under the "water damage" peril in the ISO BPP Causes Of Loss - Broad Form?

In case the anticipation is killing you, the answer is: accidental discharge or leakage of water or steam as the direct result of the breaking apart or cracking of a plumbing, HVAC, or other system or appliance located on the described premises.

Thrilling, right?

I'm sorry, I should be grateful. I really am. But I am awfully jealous of the musicians on these records right now. Alas, there's not a big market for euphonium players who never practice and didn't even make State their senior year. (I was robbed. I'm totally over it.) I will have to settle for a life of enjoying music as an extra-curricular activity.

Anyway, back to the books.



1 comment:

nicole said...

You have reached a level of maturity that many people never attain. Realizing that your work does not have to be your passion and making peace with that is no small thing. Husband feels much the same way about his job. It is certainly not what he dreamed of doing, but he recognizes what value it has and chooses to focus on the positives. Keep plugging away. Good luck on your exams!