Friday, December 19, 2008

Oops

I often get comments that I look too young to be married (eight years now) and have three kids. My response (the sarcastic one inside my head, anyway) is:

"Sorry for growing up so fast. I should sowed my wild oats, been drunk more often, experimented with illegal substances, been a roadie, etc. I forgot to backpack/hitch hike across wherever, searching for the meaning of life. I should have been confused and angry and dabbled in Buddhism, and tried to get discovered in Hollywood.

I apologize for discovering the One True Faith so soon, and for falling in love with a great girl, who happened to be my best friend, and who I knew would be a great mother one day.

Oops. I forgot to waste my 20's. My bad."

Then the real voice says, "Thanks, I do look fly, don't I?"

Like I wrote before, I'm not saying it's easy to find the right person. And I don't condemn anyone whose real adult life started later. I'm just really grateful I didn't have to wait long. We felt 30 when we were 19. We actually wanted to grow up, and we don't feel like we've missed out on anything at all. I don't regret already having a better career and a longer marriage than either of my parents ever did. I don't mean to pick on my parents or anyone else, and I don't mean to brag. But I've never been convinced that the man-boys I work with who have endless play money are truly satisfied with their lives of leisure or their live-in girlfriends. It's time to grow up, gentlemen. It's a challenge, but it's also a lot better on this side.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Trust me, I have 2 man-boys in my life and I can confirm that they are not content with their lives. They do all of those things you mentioned in your post because they still have not found their purpose. I'm so grateful I married young.