Friday, December 19, 2008

100 reasons

Bobcat and Bubba were mean today. It's nothing new, every sibling does it. But they dusted off the old sibling quibbling classic and told Snookie, "We hate you, we wish you weren't here." Like I said, it's not unusual. But it does cross the line, and we won't tolerate it. I remember saying it and hearing it as a child. And it really does hurt, even when you don't mean it.

So, to rectify the situation, they both gave Snookie the cookies they would have had for dessert, and now they are working on a list of 100 reasons why they love Snookie. It's taking a while. But I think they, especially Bobcat at age eight, are old enough for some of Dr. Ray's famous writing assignments. It's making them think. They've actually come up with some good ones, and we'll share a few when they finish. A couple of my faves so far:

-We love (Snookie) because he is fun to play with.
-We love (Snookie) because he is sweet.
-We love (Snookie) because he shares his new toys.
-We love (Snookie) because God made him.

When this is finished, they will read him the list. I'm pretty sure Snookie is over it, but I want them all to know that this is serious. We'll let you know if it works.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is awesome! Be sure to save those lists!

nicole said...

I think that sounds like a great way to handle that situation. Even when we know it is normal sibling behavior, it still shocks us when our kids can be so mean. Sounds like the list will be a good one.

justme said...

Great ideas - giving desserts to the sibling and writing the love list!! Is it 100 things each or are they working together to come up with the 100? Who's Dr. Ray? Did you give them a deadline?

When I was little (4, I think) my big brother got mad at me and said, "I'm not your friend anymore!" I was crushed! I remember feeling so devastated. We don't tolerate things like that now.

Daddio said...

Dr. Ray Guarendi is a Catholic psychologist with a radio show, and has written several books. He came to talk at our church last year. They worked on the list together. They did give it a good effort for about three hours, so I let them go to bed after they'd made it to 66.

Bob's Blog said...

I love your idea. I am going to link to you, and I am going to try this with my kids.

Merry Christmas!

Mrs. Who said...

Excellent idea...I'm going to use it in my classroom!