Friday, November 21, 2008

Grinchy

I'm feelin' a little on the grinchy side these days... why? Well I enjoy cooking and dessert baking and this time of year is 'PRIME TIME' if you will for that sort of thing... except in the kitchen in my brain.

I see all these great pictures, sift through all these amazing recipes, and in the end up feeling like I want to sit in the corner and rock... this whole Celiac Disease really has my number. Everywhere I look I see flour... wheat flour... and I still don't have other flour IQ yet... I don't know how to fix a recipe to work for our situation. And to be honest, the stuff I've found that is GF lacks a certain luster (and trust me bean flour SUCKS!).

So why am I unloading this all here... THANKSGIVING. Daddio agreed for us to attend Thanksgiving at a relative's home, by doing so I have to create a meal for Bobcat that we can bring with us (with enough to share because he told them we would). Normally when you show up somewhere for this sort of thing you bring one dish... I have to prepare an ENTIRE MEAL all the way down to a dessert, because it isn't fair for Bobcat to miss out on anything because of this stupid disease (while also making sure it isn't cross contaminated while we are there). Then there is a chance that we will be traveling over the weekend to another relative's home for a visit... which means another set of meals, but now that have to be travel proof!

I don't mean to whine... but goodness gracious there is only so much a mom can do.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'll be praying for you. Have you talked to anyone about your thoughts on this at the support group? When I was saving (and I still do)recipes for holiday desserts that were GF I found recipes for crustless pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin custards (I mean really, who likes the crusts of pie, just give me the filling!) flourless chocolate cake is supposed to be moist and wonderful, flourless truffles, chocolate custard in a cup (Faith and Family). I saw a neat recipe for pumpkin spice frozen bars in Family Fun. If any of those recipes look appealing to you, let me know and I'll dig them up. I wish I could help you with bread recipes. And let me assure you in after a few holidays under your belt, you will have found recipes that you enjoy and can use over and over again- These feelings will pass.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what your boy likes.

Mashed potatoes?

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2386

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2387

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2344

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/glutenfreebaking

nicole said...

What a stressful situation. I'm sure you will come out of it with some good recipes and experience for the next holiday. Your dedication is inspiring. Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

I second what Nichole said. Your dedication and love for your sons is truly inspiring!

MommaLlama said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement! They all meant a great deal. Friday was an emotionally rough day which seemed never ending. Thankfully I've come out on the other side with a plan that is managable... still a little overwhelming, but doable.

And yes, LaFamilia... I would love recipe inspiration :-).

Apostle to Suburbia said...

Hi, I posted my favorite yam recipe at the top of my blog. I have celiac, as do at least two of my children (the other two haven't been tested yet). It only requires a little flour for the topping and I've had good results with a variety of gf flours.

My big fear is that I will show up at my mom's house on Thursday and she will have stuffed the turkey--forgetting that I can't eat the bird if it's been cooked full of wheat! Oh well, worse comes to worse, I can just eat my yams and green beans I am bringing and pumpkin custard too. Although I might go pout in the other room.... ;) and then cook my own turkey the day after.

Best of luck!

nicole said...

So how did it go? I hope you will share with us your experiences.