Friday, November 14, 2008

Color me unsophisticated.

I thought this story was funny.

Two famous modern works by American artist Mark Rothko have been displayed incorrectly on their sides for years in a British museum, art historians say.

"The pieces from Rothko's Black and Maroon series, like many of his popular and valuable works from the 1950s and 1960s, consist solely of colored stripes."

Seriously? If you don't even know which way it's supposed to hang, is it really art? I had to look this guy up on Wikipedia and here is my favorite quote.

"The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions.. the people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when painting them. And if you say you are moved only by their color relationships then you miss the point."

I took Art Appreciation in college, and I did enjoy it. But come on. You just can't take this so seriously.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You know, I've been meaning to write a post about Pigeon's kidzart experience where she learned about the life and technique of Jackson Pollack. She came out with her own painting of his techniques and I thought it was just as good or better as his which proved my point that I've been making for years about modern art, if it looks like something someone with no art experience can do, it doesn't belong in a museum. G.K. Chesterson would agree with us.

Anonymous said...

I've been to see these Rothko's many times. I discovered them when I was a student in England. At the time I knew nothing about Mark Rothko. The Seagram Murals have their own room at the Tate and the rest are sometimes displayed at the National Gallery in Washington DC. All I can say is that when you are near them there is something deeply soul stirring about them, it's hard to explain but you need to be near them, not see a postcard or a poster. There is something elemental and magical about them. I am not an artist or an aficionado, so I can't speak from that perspective but perhaps you should experience them before you judge them as not being art.