Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Couldn't resist

So I've been on an apron extravaganza around here. I made the 'kitchen' apron on Monday evening and was pretty pleased with the way it came out... but I wanted more!

Tuesday during naptime I decided to whip out another. After studying the pattern for a few minutes I wasn't complete happy with the way that I thought it would come out... it would've looked unfinished to me on the backside. So I did a little twist on what they recommended by making it a double-sided waist apron... and they added ric-rac around the pockets and seams (with a solid fabric)... which wouldn't really work with the busy print I had. I went with a pretty purple groegrain ribbion to finish the pockets on one side... and left the others plain on the reverse. I also lined my pockets for more durability, which is something that was not included on the orginial pattern. Also by making it reversable I did without the binding around the outer rim! I chose a zig-zag stitch for attaching the waistband and pockets as well, I thought it added to the fun of the print.

I'm quite pleased with the finished product!!! The pockets are a lovely size... my hands fit nicely in them... as well as a water bottle (you never know when you might get thirstly vaccuming or what not).
If you are wondering about the fabric (hey, you never know, some of you might)... all of it (except the purple waist band) came from the same garden collection I picked up a few years ago when making my crochet/knitting yarn bag. I'll pull that out and add a picture of that at some point... it is pretty cool too.
Watch out Suzy Homemaker... MommaLlama's in the house!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very Cute! I hope to get aquainted with my sewing machine soon. I'd like to make aprons.

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

You are such a girlie girl!!! It will help balance out all that testosterone in the Llama house.

nicole said...

Way to go. I'm impressed with your use of time. I usually sleep or read when the kids are napping.

MommaLlama said...

La Familia,
I know you can do it!

Matilda,
I know... I've walking around wearing my waist apron and it just makes me so happy!!! Watch out world I'm wearin' an apron and I'm not takin' it off!

Nicole,
Well, once I get all my stuff down I really hate to waste the time it takes to get all put up again!