Monday, July 30, 2007

Book Review

It has to be a special book to keep me wrapped up and finish in a timely fashion... I tend to be a slower reader than most, so it can be taxing... and we three kiddos, well time isn't always on my side.

But I have found the time lately to enjoy a few good books!



Childhood by Bill Cosby
In it he balances his experiences growing up to how is own children and those around them grew up. It kept me laughing, and I had a hard time putting it down. It also gave me a very inside look into the mind of a boy!



Love and Marriage by Bill Cosby
This book chronicles his own life and his personal marriage. There are really funny parts, but there are also many serious chapters. I enjoyed this one a great deal and finished in one day (two sittings, really).



A Mom Just Like You by Vickie Farris & Jayme Farris Metzgar
Vickie is the wife of Michael Farris, the founder of HSLDA, and homeschooling mother of 10. It is an honest look at a real family. She shares her own insecureties and short comings, all the while reminding the reader that all can be done when you keep God as your focus. There are practical schooling questions answered, teaching methods explored, and even time management and housekeeping touched on. She even shares their struggles with nurmerous miscarriages and how it affected her and her marriage. If you are a homeschooler (or considering homeschooling) this is an honest look at what happens in a large family set up.

When it comes to homeschooling books, I'm at a point right now where I would rather read other Mom's accounts versus more theory. I'm comfortable with what I have chosen for each child... but I like to know how other moms' deal with this lifestyle. While Vickie Farris isn't Catholic, she holds many similar feelings toward life, marriage and schooling that I do, and this has turned out to be a great read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look like great reads! I will have to check them out! I love your blog!