Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Keeping the dust at bay...

Sewing has taken up a great deal of my free time lately. I have so many projects floating around in my head, in my stacks of fabric, websites, and books... what's a girl to do?

That all being said, I needed to have an area where I could work. Our house is cozy, so a craft room really isn't an option, and I dislike (greatly) things in the living room that don't belong there... so while I did set up shop in a corner for a week, that too had to change.

Finally it was decided, after doing a little rearranging, that the master bedroom would be the place. I'm okay with that, it wasn't my first choice, but I'm pretty sure there are building codes about just opening up the roof and putting in one more room on the top of your house :-).

Anyway, now I have a place to sew... and am able to leave my machine out instead of taking it in and out of a crate every time I want to use it. Naturally reading all the craft blogs I saw many lovely dust covers for sewing machines... and I thought to myself, I can do that! Who needs a stinkin' pattern when you have a ruler, paper, and fabric? Off to work I set this morning, once the boys finished up their school work.

It took me some time trying to decide how I wanted to tackle this project. Did I want to make it reversible, did I want it to encase the machine or drape over it and tie on the outsides, what sort of fabric/pattern did I want to go with?

I decided against reversible, that just seemed like too much work for one day! Then I decided I didn't want it to just drape... hmmm, this was going to take a little more time to work out the side angles... no problem, I had time. And fabric... I went with my favorite series that I purchased a year or so ago for a set of totes I made (all coordinating of course:-).

So here's the finished product... side one:
Side two (what, I love both sets of fabric, and I like to change things, so instead of making two, I just made two sides to suit my mood :-).

3 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Beautiful! Now can you make one for me?

Elizabeth said...

Cute! I need to make me one of those soon. I'll probably just drape a pillow case over my machine in the mean time. Where did you buy your fabric?

MommaLlama said...

I bought the fabric at Hobby Lobby, it's from Brother Sister Design Studio (2009 collection).