Sunday, June 1, 2008

Milton Friedman

Found this wonderful video at Bob's Blog. As Bob says, it is the late Milton Friedman explaining the ABC's of free enterprise to liberal do-gooder Phil Donahue.



"Tell me just where you're going to find these angels who are going to organize society for us."

Two things impressed me. First, Mr. Friedman himself spoke very eloquently. He explains what so few people understand - that the most free places are also the most prosperous. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to understand. I suppose people have gotten lazy and whiny and they want the government to make things "fair" for them, instead of just getting off their butts and working harder. The only thing the government needs to make "fair" for us is the opportunity. The outcome is up to you.

Secondly, that is possibly the longest I have ever seen a guest on a political talk show speak without being interrupted! Truly mind-blowing. I didn't grow up and take any interest in politics and Sunday morning talk shows until well after such programs were jam-packed with so much "content" that nobody was allowed to make their point without being attacked by the host or the other panelists. I guess folks used to be a little more patient and polite to their guests. We saw Bill O'Reilly on Oprah several months ago, and she actually did an admirable job of shutting up and letting him speak. (She wanted to appear objective, which she clearly is not, but at least she shut her mouth for 30 seconds at a time.) He was able to deliver a pretty good rationale for the Iraq War to her dingbat audience members. Other than that, all I've seen are clips, soundbites, and arguments.

1 comment:

Bob's Blog said...

I was struck by that, too. I guess I have to give Mr. Donahue credit for letting the man talk. I agree that is rare these days.