Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another music post

We recently purchased an album called, "How Great Thou Art: Gospel Favorites from the Grand Ole Opry"

We bought it because we happened to hear the Carrie Underwood version of "How Great Thou Art" on TV and were absolutely blown away. It is a very nice and simple arrangement, not a lot of "decoration" or "artistic license". Just pure and beautiful, with a slight Southern touch. And WOW, what a finish. Again, not a "diva" version, but man does she have some pipes. We immediately jumped on iTunes and bought the whole album.

And I am loving it. These are mostly old standards for those familiar with Southern gospel music. As Catholics, we don't know them all so well, but are really enjoying them now. The one getting the most play on my iPod this week is the Dierks Bentley version of "House of Gold", and I thought I would post the lyrics here:

Verse 1:
People steal, they cheat and lie
For wealth and what it will buy ...
But don't they know on the Judgement Day
That Gold and silver will melt a- way.

CHORUS:
I'd rather be in a deep dark grave
And know that my poor soul was saved ...
Than to live in this world in a House Of Gold
And deny my God and doom my soul.

Verse 2:
What good is Gold and silver, too
If your heart's not good and true?
Sinner hear me when I say:
Fall down on your knees and pray.

CHORUS:
I'd rather be in a deep dark grave
And know that my poor soul was saved ...
Than to live in this world in a House Of Gold
And deny my God and doom my soul.

The tune is beautiful, and the lyrics are the perfect message for me at this time. It keeps me grounded at work, and reminds me that I "work to live, not live to work" as the saying goes. A lot of people in my company, especially now that I work with producers on larger accounts, are very driven and motivated by sales and commissions. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but some of these folks really push the line. There's certainly nothing unethical or illegal going on, but for lack of a better word, many of them are just not very nice. You know what I mean? They're pushy, demanding, willing to bend the rules a little. And a lot of their families suffer as a result of their insane "work-aholism."

Having the iPod on something inspirational and uplifting during the day seems to help me stay on the right track. To work hard so that, yes, I will be successful and support my family, but also so that I can get everything done and come home on time. And to be charitable when I must be firm, and to avoid gossip (because I can't hear most of it!). So, I would highly recommend this album to any of you. Even if you are not a big country music fan, anyone could appreciate and enjoy the authentic and wholesome vibe, and make your music collection a little more eclectic.

No comments: