Sunday, February 10, 2008

Music

Tina, Tina, Tina... someone lied to you, honey! That outfit is not good. Skin-tight silver lame' capri pants? It's time to age gracefully, mmmkay? Can I get an Amen?

I'm referring to Tina Turner on the Grammy's, for those who missed the show. Not sure why I'm watching the Grammy's. I can't say I'm a fan of any modern pop music, but we tune into these awards shows once in a great while, just to catch a glimpse of what we're missing (not much!), and to marvel at how stupid and disgusting everything is these days.

But, you know, I'm kind of digging this Foo Fighers thing because the orchestral accompaniment is really good, especially that trumpet player. Dude, he is really wailing. Aww, orchestral interlude is over, now the actual band is playing again. I could really do without all the singing/yelling. More orchestra please. I guess I'm not really into Foo Fighters after all.

Okay, now there's some country stuff. I like Brad Paisley. But I don't listen to country radio much any more because there are so many songs about getting drunk and shacking up. I listen to contemporary Christian radio some, but they tend to repeat a lot of the same stuff, and some of it is too soft and sappy. There's a pretty good Christian rock station, but a lot of that music is too hard core for my taste, and their morning DJ's are really annoying. We are lucky to have Catholic radio locally now, but during my morning commute time it's playing the daily mass, which is not fun to listen to on the radio. If I'm headed out early, they play old Fulton Sheen recordings (6:00-6:30) and those are quite powerful. I think I'm trying to talk myself into an iPod or satellite radio, so I can find stuff that suits my eclectic taste. I'll use regular radio now and then to listen for new stuff I might want to add. But I could do without the commercials and the 80% of music that just doesn't do it for me.

But I'm not going to spend that much on myself right now. I have enough toys (repeat that ten times until I start to believe it). We're saving our tax return (again, hooray for TurboTax, my refund was direct deposited last Friday) for a nifty summer vacation, hopefully with some good friends from college. So, I'll try not to spend any money. At least not until after Lent...

Oh, no no no... Aretha, who told you to go strapless?

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

LOL! No link to what prompted that post?

nicole said...

I do not want to cause you to stumble in your Lenten resolution, but the iPod is a pretty worthy investment. I don't have experience with satellite radio, so it may be better and I would never know. However, I do have the iPod and I love it and Husband loves his too. If your car has an MP3 plugin, you are good to go. I don't have one, I have to use an iTrip attachment, which is sometimes a beating, but still worth it. You can customize your playlists for different moods and adding songs is easy with iTunes.

Okay, good luck waiting on purchasing anything new. Where are y'all going on vacation? We are going to start saving for the big Mouse house, maybe going by next year (it is a girl thing I think).

Daddio said...

We will probably go to Port Aransas again. It's become a tradition. I may request additional info on your iPods at some point before pulling that trigger.

Daddio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nicole said...

Ours are already outdated! We just bought them last year. They still work of course, but now for the same amount of money you can get more storage. Not that I need it. Anyway, you can ask away, although my answers are likely to be as non-technical as possible. :)