Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oh my thumbkin

Ever since the boys were little, they've enjoyed the "Where is Thumbkin" song. And to this day they refer to their own thumbs and thumbkins.

Well I hurt my thumbkin... pretty bad. It all started on Saturday at Dinosaur Valley, I was playing catch with my sister-inlaw... with a football, and towards the end of our 1 hour game of catch I managed to jam my thumb pretty good (no, that didn't stop the game... we were on a roll). What sucked was I had a concert on Sunday evening, and rehearsal on Monday evening (for band), and my right (injured) thumb is the holding finger of my horn... flute/piccolo. And holding my horn for an hour and half on Sunday and then a two hour rehearsal on Monday really didn't help the soreness.

Then came Tuesday, and with an unfortunate turn of events, my hand (thumb) made contact with a cabinet with a great deal of velocity. By Tuesday evening from my wrist to my top knuckle on said thumb was an unpleasant color and in a lot of pain. So much pain that I didn't sleep a wink on Tuesday evening... so Wednesday morning I dutifully got up and called the doctor... certain that I had broken my poor little thumbkin.

After all was said and done, thankfully I do not have a broken thumb... what I do have is a nasty bone bruise, unpleastant jam, and the nerves are inflamed! If mommyhood were a position on the basketball court, I would be calling in my replacement... but unfortunately there is a rather shallow bench and no replacement is available! What's the prognosis... 2 weeks I should have full range of motion, and in 4-6 weeks it should feel normal again. Yikes... that is a long time!

Fun times :-(

3 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I am so sorry! Good thing you have three sweet boys there who I am sure would be happy to kiss your bo-bo anytime it hurts!

MommaLlama said...

All three took turns this morning doing that actually.

And yesterday at the Dr.'s office, the doctor turned to Snookie and asked him if he knew the best medicine for a hurt thumb... then the doctor kissed his own fingers and patted my hand! The boys cracked up and it definitely lightened the whole situation!

matthew archbold said...

So let me get this straight. Your sister in law broke your thumb. And you admit it? lol