Sunday, February 24, 2008

Spring!!!




The camellia blooms are our first sign that spring has sprung at Casa Llama. There are also some tulips beginning to peek through, and the iris foliage is getting perky. By the end of the summer, I'm usually quite happy to park the mower and enoy a few months off from the yard work. But I'm definitely ready to start up again by this time.
Bobcat was my assistant in the yard today. We pulled weeds, spread some weed killer and fertilizer, tuned up the mower, and repaired the fence in the back yard. Last year, four of five fence posts along the side fence rotted and fell over. Last week, the fifth took a dive. So we dug and dug and dug and dug, dropped in a new post, and nailed everything back together. Bobcat practiced nailing on an extra board while I made an embarrassing mess of the actual fence. I'm glad it's in the back yard, or I'd pay to have it torn down and done properly. Let's just say things don't quite line up exactly right. But it's good enough, and I'm sore enough that I don't plan to put any more effort into improving it!

Here's Bobcat helping to mix the quick-crete and water. Yes, our work zone was dangerously close to that thorny rose bush. And yes, we have battle wounds.

And just for fun, here's Bobcat jammin' to some Veggie Tales praise & worship on my iPod. Those headphones may be just a bit large on him, but he loves it.