Saturday, November 24, 2007

We made a deal

If Bobcat picked the "big boy shoes" with laces, he would have to learn to tie them by himself, and practice until he got it down. It actually went very well. I guess I shouldn't be so shocked, he is seven years old now. But sometimes he doesn't exactly have the patience and perseverence he needs when learning new things. In the store, I wanted to make an executive decision and choose velcro shoes for him. But he promised he would work hard, and recently we were inspired to allow him more control over the little things. (We heard an excellent speaker at the adoption conference we attended, and bought her book. I'm sure we'll write more about that later on.)

Our lesson started with some frustration, and maybe a tear or two. I told him he could put them back in the box and I'd take them back to the store, or he could calm down and try again. Three deep breaths, and ten minutes later... Voila'!



I'm proud of him!