Wednesday, November 28, 2007

For the love of Music

I fall somewhere in the middle on the notion of what makes a child - Nature/Nurture argument... I think there is a little of both, and yet when the boys seem to gravitate toward things that are more like Daddio and I, I'm always a little surprised (and happy). I don't know what their bio parents like or disliked as far as foods go, colors, quiet alone time, group settings... blah blah blah, so I really am just assuming that they are leaning toward the things that we like because they've been with us and have been exposed to those things more.

Take for instance music. Pretty much since they've been home with us, when we are just kickin' around the house I have music on... because I like to listen to music. Country, classic cowboy, Classical, Big Band, Jazz, Oldies... I enjoy an interesting array of sounds, and as time goes on the boys have appeared to pick up the same enjoyment of music that I have. The only time I don't have music on is during schooling in the morning.

Except this morning... after instructed work was completed, Bobcat and Bubba moved onto their independent work and Bobcat made an interesting request.

"Mommy, can we listen to some music while we work? You know, something with no words, just instruments... I think it would be nice to hear something while we work."

"Um, sure, let's see what I can find that would be nice to listen to."

So off to the 200 disc changer I went to find some homeschooling music. As I sat there scrolling through my choices I was somewhat in shock and awe... First that he is comfortable enough to manage his work while listening to music, and second that he asked for MUSIC... how awesome is that. Okay, I know you are thinking I'm dorky... but I want my kids to appreciate and enjoy music, and it seems to be rubbing off on them!!!!

Right now the distinct sounds of Spanish Guitar fill the house, while the boys complete their studies...

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Speaking of music, can you let me know where I can find those UNT marching cd's from 1997-2001? I'd like to give them to my husband for Christmas or his birthday. Please email me at my hotmail address. This post inspired me; I'm off to fix lunch to the sounds of Vivaldi.

Daddio said...

I don't know. I have 1997 (the only year I was in the Green Brigade), and could make a copy. I bet if you contact the College of Music they can hook you up.

justme said...

Have you thought about and/or have they expressed an interest in taking music lessons (piano, voice, guitar, whatever)?

MommaLlama said...

Underthewillow,

We have considered music lessons... more than likely starting with piano (I did and I really think it gave me a much better foundation later on in my musical endeavors). But we don't feel they are quite ready, and we want to start them all at the same time which would mean we have to wait till Snookie is ready which could be another year or two :-).