Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thankgiving

I don't know if my extended family is unique, I only know that it is different from my in-laws. This was again made clear to me at Thanksgiving.

We traveled down to my aunt and uncle's home in the country for good food and good times. The kids had a great time playing in the leaves, riding the gator (an ATV deal), jumping in hay, and doing all around boy things. And I had the opportunity to chat with family in a relaxed environment... Now the part that makes us different... our genuine affection for one another. Everytime we (my extended family) see one another we ALWAYS greet one another with a big hug and a kiss... even for those members we don't know all that well because they aren't able to make all the functions or whatever. It doesn't matter, if we share a drop of blood or our spouse shares a drop of blood with someone in the room, this is how you are greeted and even how we say good bye, and always followed by a "love you sha" (cajun expression).

Maybe it is a southern thing, maybe it is a cajun thing.. I'm not sure, but it is something I actually look forward too. The feeling of being surrounded by loved ones...

Now DH's family is completely different. I remember the first time his grandmother showed me any type of familial affection... she patted my back to say hello and nearly knocked the wind out of me... tough love I guess. But no one in his family hugs or makes anything special out of greeting other members, and to be honest I have never heard any of them say "I love you to one another". And I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that there is absolutely no respect for anyone elses feelings among the group? Also there is always this feeling of superiority, maybe showing emotion for them is a sign of weakness that they simply don't want the others seeing... who knows, but it saddens me to think that they are missing out on such a human and intimate connection with the people that are supposed to love them the most!

No comments: