Friday, August 11, 2006

The count down has begun

I mentioned in a previous post that I already ordered my curriculum and was waiting on it to arrive... WELL IT DID! Boy it was like Christmas when those boxes arrived. First round come on Tuesday, and then my last box to arrive was yesterday. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME. But to say that I'm not a little overwhelmed would be a lie. It is a lot of stuff.

This is the second year that I've homeschooled, and while I thought we had a pretty structured set-up last year... it doesn't even compare to what I have sitting in front of me right now! Of course last year it was just kindergarten (not that kindergarten isn't important, on the contrary it is the foundation)... this year I will be teaching first grade and kindergarten, and I'm not using the same materials I did last year. Maybe that is why my eyes are the size of watermelons as I wade thru it all, last year I was confortable in the activities... now I am again learning. Ahhh I guess this is how it will be every year.

The one subject that is completely different is math this year. I decided to switch both boys over to Saxon Math, and it is a lot more involved that MCP that I used previously. It is a lot more involved. Instead of only using an activity book, this really utilizes lots of manipulatives and real world application. I'm impressed, but the teachering manuel (for each grade) is 500 pages... in the largest spiral I've ever seen!

Another area that I'm really excited about is religion study. This year Bubba will be using the Image of God series, and Bobcat is working out of the Faith and Life series. Both seem to be so well done, and on their level... which really seemed to be lacking last year.

Other things the boys will be working with: Little Stories for Little Folks Phonics, Little Folks Letter and Number Practice, Seton English, My First Catholic Speller, Writing Can Help.

No comments: