Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Nice...

All three of the boys love telling jokes... they don't know many, so over the last few months they've taken to making up their own jokes... generally in the form of knock, knock jokes... that make NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER!

Usually Daddio and I just look at each other and shake our heads. Sometimes we will explain why that joke didn't make sense, or try to explain the concept of jokes, but it is usually lost on them.

So it was no surprise when I heard Bobcat wind up for a joke, one I thought he surely made up.

Bobcat: What do you call a maid that lives underwater?

Wow... he actually knows a joke I thought to myself, one I hadn't heard him tell before...

Bobcat (to his waiting audience of brothers): "A mermaid!"

All three are laughing hysterically, including actually falling out of their chairs with complete amusement! And then Bobcat pops up, super serious, as if he didn't just tell a joke, "But mermaids aren't real!"

Um, okay... weird kid!


4 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

One solution for that phase is to check out some joke books from the library. You will soon be bleeding from the ears after you have heard the same jokes 12,000 times, but at least they will make sense. I said it was one solution, not the perfect solution.

nicole said...

That is a clever joke! And I love the made up jokes, they are even funnier than real ones, precisely because they make no sense.

Amanda U. said...

My mother was determined that her children would have a sense of humor. Sometimes she would ask us to look at the comics(usually "The Far Side")and tell her why it was funny. Love your blog, by the way! -Amanda Underhill

Elizabeth said...

I told Dan we need to get her an Anatomy of a Joke book. The other night we overheard our daughter telling jokes to her doll over the baby monitor. I was cracking up as Dan anticipated the punch line outloud to every one of them.