Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rental

D:"Hey, I won't be much longer here... you are never gonna guess what kind of rental I got."
M:"Okay see you soon :-)."

This was the phone conversation with Daddio yesterday after he landed and was turning in his car to have it repaired from a minor fender-bender he was in this week.

I had a few theories. He mentioned that he had taken it to a service shop at a dealer, so I figured he would pick something fun... maybe a little sporty car, convertable or something, or something fun like a Jeep. So I fed the kids their dinner, and then went about a few other odd chores. We did our spelling flash cards, and then I headed out to the front yard to water my trees... and that is when he drove up in a...

HUMMER - H3!

If you are a regular reader of my blog you will know that we are car people. And so to see this pull into my driveway, well... my heart rate when up... this was definitely going to be FUN!

After Daddio and I had dinner, we loaded up the kids and went looking for some fun dirt to drive on. After about a 15 minutes scouting we finally found a place to PLAY. I pulled it up into the dirt (oh, I guess I didn't mention that I was driving it), and switched it into 4WD! Woohoo, boy is this little Hummer fun. After a few passes on this little road we found it was Daddio's turn to have some fun. Did I mention the high pitch noise coming from the backseat!!!!??? That would be the boys screaming, laughing and begging Mommy to 'JUMP THE FENCE'... because we were a 'MONSTER TRUCK' after all!

Practical review of the H3:
Not a family car. Why? You can't fit 3 or even 2 booster seats in the back seat (with a total of 3 kids sitting back there). This is not a 5 seater, it is really a 4 seater with 5 seat belts (but we made due... cause it's a hummer... HELLO). Regular street driving the low gears are pretty sluggish, but once it shifts into 3+ it has a much quicker response. When you get it up to 60+ it really hums along and you hardly notice you are going 70! I expected the ride to be much bumpier, but it really isn't bad for having a truck base (the Colorado I believe is the platform)... but definitely not as smooth as my Yukon XL. It has a stiff ride, it actually felt a lot like driving our Mustang from a few years ago. The visibility is kind of weird. The window are small and high, so a car sitting next to you on the passenger side is harder to see by looking over there... so you really do have to rely on your mirrors more. I thought my Yukon was a brick on wheels... not the case, the Hummer is even more of a brick. If you take your foot off the gas (even momentarily), you decelerate very quickly!

Do I like it... a resounding YES. It is definitely a fun SUV to drive. Would I buy one, not now because my boys are too little to go without carseats/booster seats.

A statement I never thought I would hear myself say, "Dang this Hummer is smaller than my car."

How much longer will the fun last? We have it till Thursday... YAY!!!!!

1 comment:

Bob's Blog said...

My kids would love to ride in a Hummer!