Monday, September 24, 2007

JUICE ... Man...

Many moons ago I wrote an entry about the Juice Mafia... and people thought I was crazy. I don't buy juice boxes/bags to keep here at the house for kids to drink, and when we are with others I usually prefer (my kids) they have water... I do on rare occasions give in and let them have a bag o' sugar but that occurs some where in the neighborhood of once a month. Why? Don't all the ads say made with 100% juice, takes the place of one serving of real fruit... I don't feel the need to give them sugar water with some added 'fruit juice' when they eat real fruit and veggies everyday.

Well, today at the doctor for Snookie and Bubba's yearly well check, my opinion of juice was vindicated. Studies have shown that regular consumption of juice (instead of water) stunts growth and leads to childhood obesity.

Hmmmm, they'll have another glass of water please!

4 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Right there with ya! Juice is just a precursor to the harder stuff... cokes. Gateway drug theory in action, baby!

nicole said...

We limit juice too. I allow the kids to drink it parties, playgroup, etc. but never at home. And even when they do get to go somewhere and drink it, they get one. And then water. It seems a lot more parents are doing that these days, at least in our social circles.

Christie said...

Maybe I'm the only mom out there, but I don't have a huge problem with juice. I allow my children to drink juice. They love milk, so that is what they have most of, but I have not found that a glass of juice is harmful to them. I have also not seen the stunt of growth in either one of my boys. In fact, my oldest is off the charts in his height and the younger one is in the top percentages. As far as childhood obesity, I think there has got to be more to that than just drinking juice. What about children watching more television and playing video games? Was this figured into the studies? I believe as long as that is not what they are filling up on daily and they have a healthy schedule with physical activity there is not a problem. Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Michelle said...

My three oldest kids drank juice when they were little....although it had to be 100% juice, no corn syrup, etc. Two of those three children are now adults and both are within normal parameters for weight.

Now with our younger children they get lots of water and 100% juice only occasionally.

I can understand limiting juices....too many empty calories. Why not just drink water and eat fruit?