Friday, July 7, 2006

The world around me!

Think back to your youth, what did you think would be the world around when you were a grown up? I'll be honest I thought I might see flying cars and things of that nature. I was a dreamer, I couldn't wait to see how things would progress. I dreamed of being a wife and mother, having the perfect house and a wonderful life.

As I look at my life now, I have a great home, a wonderful marriage, and awesome kids... but I'm not the dreamer I used to be. I guess the reality of adulthood has been an eye opening experience. The things that have happened in the world are not so happy and wonderful anymore, maybe they never were but as a child I never knew it. But instead of how wonderful things will be for my kids, I find myself in the mindset of what will be left for them (not in the tree hugging way)... what kinds of struggles are they going to have to deal with.

What exactly am I talking about... well to name just a few: lack of modesty, immorality every were you look, terrorism, anti-catholic mentality, lack of true education, abortion and contraception... my list could go on for miles.

I wonder if this transition in thought is more because I'm now a parent who worries about the safety and happiness of my children, or if things have just gotten this bad and are on a downward spiral. Right now, I think it is a combination of the two. My other questioning thought is, did my parents (or grandparents) feel this way at this point in their lives?

If you're wondering where such an introspective downer kind of thought process came to me... I'm on a large amount of allergy medicine attempting to rid my body of snot! :-)

No comments: