Monday, January 30, 2006

Private Catholic School vs. Homeschool

I thought I would share our event from yesterday. We (Daddio, Bobcat, and I) went to the open house at the Highlands School in Irving. It is run by the Legionaries of Christ (the group that created Regnum Christi and Familia). Daddio and I were thinking that when the boys were older and thought they could benefit from institutionalized schooling... then we would put them in a place like that.... NOPE. First it is $8000 in tuition (not including all the other fees for all the other crap you have to pay for that they don't list on the website), but their curriculum is secular. Yep the only thing that is Catholic is the religious formation. No thank you, I can provide a wholey Catholic education at home for a fraction of the cost and I get to keep my little ducks close to the pond. We spent time with the kindergarten teacher and first grade teacher asking questions like are the priests and religious part of lower school religious formation... nope, they make appearances but are not primary. They only take the students to mass once a month. And we spent time talking with the lower school curriculum coordinator asking about how they feel about students that are homeschooled entering into their school. Basically her theory was that their school was a homeschoolers best dream, "because the more kids you have and the higher the grade level the reach you as a mom start to have to let things fall to the way side in their academic career"... I was like what the hell are you talking about. You moron the higher they get the easier to an extent it is because they become more independent learners... blah blah blah. So I don't like it and I won't put the boys in a Catholic school that isn't catholic except for the religion class. Oh and they start their reading program with Pre-K 3, and their kindergarteners are fluent readers and if yours isn't then they are put in a "no nothing" group with a remedial teacher... in kindergarten, poor kids will have a complex and they aren't even in high school yet.

Needless to say I am even more pleased with our decision to homeschool.

No comments: